Life for me has been a little all over the place lately. From getting ready for the holidays, middle of the year testing for school, and daily life. I’ve been feeling out of focus and needed to be reminded of why I began myself care journey. In the video below I share a few of my go-to self-care tips.
Fear of failure has always been a roadblock in my life. I have always linked failure to disappointment and I never want to disappoint my loved ones around me. However, lately I’ve had time to reflect on the last 3 months specifically and I realized this fear of failure was creating roadblocks in my life. So instead of focusing on whether or not my actions or decisions will disappoint others, my focus became walking in my own purpose.
Everyone has a calling in life; whether it’s to entertain, create, inspire or educate, we are all destined to strive for greatness at whatever we are passionate about. My come-to-Jesus moment happened while I was scrolling through Instagram one day. I came across numerous influential women doing amazing things with their businesses, brand, blogs, vlogs, and websites. I wanted that. I follow many of these women for inspiration/motivation but yet here I was too scared to step outside of my bubble.
As I continued scrolling multiple emotions came over me: doubt, envy, fear. Eventually all of those negative feelings gave way to realization and determination. Nothing was different between them and me except that they weren’t afraid to walk in their purpose. My fear of failure is what stopped me from attempting anything that was out of the ordinary, but once I understood my roadblock I created a plan to help me get pass it.
1.Be Fearless: it is okay to fail as long as you get back up and grind harder than before to reach your goals
2. Make your goals realistic: Try not to be one of those people who sets themselves up for failure by setting far-fetched goals accompanied by unreasonable timelines. I believe in setting small, realistic short-term goals that eventually lead into completing larger long-term goals. Short goals help keep you on track and motivated.
3. You are your Tribe: From a young age I learned to be aware of the company I kept because I could easily be judged by who I had around me. I had to be very mindful of my tribe. Surrounding yourself with people who are positive, inspiring and genuine will help keep you motivated while allowing you the chance to be supportive of someone else trying to reach their goals.
These are my go to tips that have been helping me stay focused and to continue reaching for my goals. What keeps you motivated and walking in your purpose? Leave your responses in the comment below!
Lately I have been unplugging from social media and focusing more on my mental and physical well-being. One way I have done this is by diving back into my book collection. Whether it be for pleasure or gathering information, reading has been a lifelong passion of mine. Since I’ve been spending less time browsing timelines and liking pictures, reading and journaling have taken their rightful place as the center of my attention. So today I wanted to share some of my favorite books in hopes that the words will leap off of the page and into your hearts as they have for me.
Ntozake Shange– For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf
Alex Elle-Words from a Wander
Alysia Nicole Harris- How Much We Must Have Looked Like Stars to Stars
GG Renee Hill- Wallflower
How have you been nourishing your mind lately? Comment below and let me know your favorite books.
“Self care is a divine responsibility.” –Danielle LaPorte
Self care has become a frequently used word in my daily life. Initially I thought of self care as just taking care of your physical being(pedicures, washing your makeup off, etc). But as I continued to travel deeper into my self-love journey I have learned self care encompasses care of yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally.
One of the best times to focus on self care is at night while preparing for bed. Creating a routine that helps wind down from the stressors and chaos of the day could include things like reading a book, journaling, or having a cup a tea. The key is to simply make time for yourself. I am a huge advocate of self care for moms because it is very easy to be so consumed with the hustle and bustle of family life that we neglect ourselves. True self care to me goes beyond beauty; it is taking care of your mind, body, and soul. In order to be the best version of yourself, you have to first take care of YOU.
Here are some essential items in my nightly self care routine.
- Good Night Darling Co: Lounge black lavender soy candle
- Lush: Bath Bomb ( my favorite is the Yoga bomb)
- Lush: Wiccy Magic Muscles Massage Bar
- Good Night Darling Co: Fade to Black herbal tea blend
- Writing the Layers: Self-discovery workbook by: GG Renee Hill
As many of you know life can be overwhelming. A student may struggle finding time to study while maintaining a social life on a near non-existent budget, while a single parent could be juggling a career, bills, and family duties with minimal help. With these and other similar cases it’s good to take a step back and regain focus. As I may have mentioned before, my personal focal point for the year is self-care and healing. So today I wanted to share my top 5 essential items and ideas to give your mind and body a little TLC.
- Journaling- To me, writing on paper is beautiful thing. Lately I have been taking time out of my day to write down thoughts or words of inspiration for a positive mental break.
- Love in My Language by: Alex Elle
- Green Tea Body Butter by Butter Me Up- I love body butters especially in the colder months. I adore the blend of Shea butter and the hint of the green tea which makes this my go to scent at the moment
- Loose Leaf Tea- I am a tea junkie and nothing makes my day like a good cup of tea. My current favorite is an Indian Spice loose leaf blend from my local Healthy Market.
- Incense – Nothing puts me in a relaxed mood like burning incense.
What are you favorite items for self-care and healing? Feel free to share on either my IG or Twitter accounts!
Recently I had a chance to network with the owner of the amazing Nature’s Silk Bath and Body Essentials, Denitra Houchins. Her product line includes bath bombs, body scrubs, and body butters, completely made will all-natural products. I had been long overdue for a stress-relieving bath, so I decided to purchase a lavender mint bath bomb and it was nothing short of amazing. From high end name brands to local farmer’s market sellers, I have used MANY bath bombs but this is by far is one of my favorites. It dissolved quickly, didn’t leave a grainy feeling in the water, and the finely chopped pieces of mint and lavender were not noticeable visually or physically. The scent was not over powering as with some other bath bombs I’ve tried and it left my skin feeling very smooth and soft. Nature’s Silk Bath and Body Essentials is a great product line with many quality products that also aren’t hard on the wallet, a must in my opinion. Not to mention is it an up and coming business from my hometown ran by a driven and dedicated women. I will definitely be purchasing more products in the future and you can too by visiting Denitra’s Facebook page or Instagram account for a list of her products and prices.