“Self care is a divine responsibility.” –Danielle LaPorte
Self care has become a frequently used word in my daily life. Initially I thought of self care as just taking care of your physical being(pedicures, washing your makeup off, etc). But as I continued to travel deeper into my self-love journey I have learned self care encompasses care of yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally.
One of the best times to focus on self care is at night while preparing for bed. Creating a routine that helps wind down from the stressors and chaos of the day could include things like reading a book, journaling, or having a cup a tea. The key is to simply make time for yourself. I am a huge advocate of self care for moms because it is very easy to be so consumed with the hustle and bustle of family life that we neglect ourselves. True self care to me goes beyond beauty; it is taking care of your mind, body, and soul. In order to be the best version of yourself, you have to first take care of YOU.
Here are some essential items in my nightly self care routine.
- Good Night Darling Co: Lounge black lavender soy candle
- Lush: Bath Bomb ( my favorite is the Yoga bomb)
- Lush: Wiccy Magic Muscles Massage Bar
- Good Night Darling Co: Fade to Black herbal tea blend
- Writing the Layers: Self-discovery workbook by: GG Renee Hill
(featured image via @elayna_thejunoesque)
From the need to feel perfect to being the best at any of my personal endeavors, I have always been my own biggest critic. If I wanted to try and create a positive spin on this I could say being hypercritical of myself makes it extremely easy to take criticism at work or maybe that it helps me stay organized to prevent being unprepared. But in all honesty being my own biggest critic causes me to overthink literally everything to the point that it stresses me out and causes me to have self-doubts. These feelings have led to me try and find different outlets to help root out the negativity and lately writing has been my therapy. In the evening, as I’m winding down, I take the time to write myself a note of encouragement or a mantra to repeat when I need clarity or guidance.
Some habits are extremely hard to kill but as I travel through my self-love journey I will continue finding ways to help me overcome. I’ve been focusing on not being so hard on myself and accepting that sometimes it’s okay to be a hot mess. At some point in this lifetime, I will learn to accept my flaws, embrace my imperfections and enjoy just being me.
As many of you know life can be overwhelming. A student may struggle finding time to study while maintaining a social life on a near non-existent budget, while a single parent could be juggling a career, bills, and family duties with minimal help. With these and other similar cases it’s good to take a step back and regain focus. As I may have mentioned before, my personal focal point for the year is self-care and healing. So today I wanted to share my top 5 essential items and ideas to give your mind and body a little TLC.
- Journaling- To me, writing on paper is beautiful thing. Lately I have been taking time out of my day to write down thoughts or words of inspiration for a positive mental break.
- Love in My Language by: Alex Elle
- Green Tea Body Butter by Butter Me Up- I love body butters especially in the colder months. I adore the blend of Shea butter and the hint of the green tea which makes this my go to scent at the moment
- Loose Leaf Tea- I am a tea junkie and nothing makes my day like a good cup of tea. My current favorite is an Indian Spice loose leaf blend from my local Healthy Market.
- Incense – Nothing puts me in a relaxed mood like burning incense.
What are you favorite items for self-care and healing? Feel free to share on either my IG or Twitter accounts!